Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Careers - Which way do I go?


Congratulations to Sandy for the fabulous job offer! I'm very excited for you and your new endeavor. While I celebrate your new found path, I've been wondering about my own.
For several months I've wondered about what to be when I grow up. Do you remember the dreams? I've been thinking back to what it is I always wanted to be. I wanted to be a mom - I thought it was a given that you get married and then have kids and have been sadly disproven of that.
I remember thinking teaching was where it was at, which ultimately wasn't what I wanted and didn't persue. Now that I'm a trainer teaching (adults of various ages) the computer system for billing at the University Hospital - I find that teaching is not what I would want for myself (not that it was ever in question - but now I'm sure). At least in this, people are here to get paid. It sometimes (many times) feels like I'm a high school teacher (parent teacher conference consists of speaking with supervisors and managers; report cards are monthly reports). I actually really like my job - but that's just it. It's a job. I don't refer to it as a career.
For the last several years, I was in school for my associates degree and to complete my nursing prerequisits. Nursing seemed ideal because you can find a job ANYWHERE, ANY TIME and get paid handsomely. I am still wanting to consider this option, but I have been thinking about why I am doing it. Why? It's not because my mom's a nurse. A lot of people make that inaccurate presumption. If anything, my observations of my mom in her nursing career have made me think twice about that path for myself.
In my 12 years working in a healthcare environment, I've rarely seen a nurse who is happy. Genuinely happy. Most of my observations have been that nurses give everything they are to their patients; all of their emotions, energy, compassion, etc. When work is done, they find themselves drained of it and there's none left to give to the people who matter most: family, children, pets, friends.
Now, I don't want to suggest that this isn't possible in other career paths OR that it's all nurses, but I think it's something to consider. I most certainly don't want to say that my Mom doesn't love me or my siblings, BUT (and this is where it's at for me) she put too much into a career that never replenished it for her - in any way. As a nurse, what can you get from the patients? They are in need of services - and therefore they make withdrawals - not deposits. This is what I'VE observed - and this is what's causing such hesitation on my part to continue down a path to nursing.
With these thoughts weighing on me, I've been wondering what it is I WOULD like. I love being creative. I'm good at it. I have found a true love in photography, sewing, drawing. I find myself thinking (in my spare thoughts) about the next time I take pictures or what I would like to set up for the next shot. It's strange how preoccupied I've been - and am saving up for a bigger and better camera.
I am probably going to stick with Nursing but also persue my photography and other loves (my husband and family). I figure I still want to do ER nursing - a higher paced environment and I can walk away - and even do clinic stuff.
I'll think of something, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I have really been pondering this. I no clue what to tell ya! I was thinking something to do with animals, but obviously not a vet, but maybe a tech or a spokeswoman or something. Who knows? I really think you need something to channel your creativity and while a nurse is a noble choice it doesn't fit the creativity bill?!?!?

eMiLy sLaUgH said...

Hey Tina! I just happened to stubble onto you! YEAH! It's great to see what you are up to! I'll give you my opinion to your post. You know that I'm a nurse and I love it. I do see people getting burned out, but I love that you can make a lot more money so that you don't have to work as much so you can do photography or whatever else you want to do. It's all about what you make of it. I love taking care of my patients and I get a lot out of it. I'm in Labor and Delivery which my not be your cup of tea, but we deliver the most babies in the country, so it is high paced and you never know what is coming through the door. So I get to feel challenged... and I don't know if I would get that as much in any other L&D. So you just find the area you like the most. I can tell you that most of my friends in nursing school thought they knew what they wanted to do, but didn't end up going into it when they were done with school. I also like that with the economy not doing so great, if Mike ever lost his job, I would have no problem having a job and a job that would be able to support us. Sorry for just writing you a book! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!