Monday, April 13, 2009

One Way to Spend Easter Sunday

Yesterday for Easter my dad and I decided to go out and take pictures at the Great Salt Lake. The intention was to find beautiful serene water scenes. You know the kind. And we did find those kind of moments, for sure.

We also found ourselves exploring run-down train cars and dilapidated buildings. I thought, how sad. People go out there and use these items for their target practice. I felt bad for the train cars, buildings and old items...I couldn't help it. Maybe because I could relate to Toy Story - when I was a kid, everything came to life when I stepped out of the room.

There was an odd beauty in these broken items, and in truth, it was quite serene. Later I thought of the irony of finding beauty in such shabby surroundings. Places you find tossed out trash...old and long forgotten treasures.

I wondered, are they worth saving? Maybe not any more as objects.....but then what about human beings? Are we worth saving when we've taken a turn down a path we later regret? We feel torn and ratty like some old piece of furniture. Can we be made beautiful and whole again?

I'm a return missionary, so you know how I'll answer my own question. But on Easter Sunday, I thought that it was ironic and lovely to be physically reminded of our Savior's mission. Through him, all things are made whole again. How wonderful is that?

Here are some of my favorite pictures from yesterday:
An old fence with salt gathering where water meets wood:

These birds were the only sign of life for a couple of miles:

The train cars were covered in graffiti. I loved this piece:

At the marina, there were sailboats drifting about:

This poor old car is in such disrepair. It was discarded years ago:

We found this chair last August. It's still here, riddled with bullet holes:

A line of old, train cars lined the side of the highway:


Go to my flickr page to see more of my pictures.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Gorgeous photos Tina! You have real talent. Hope you had a happy Easter!

Jess said...

Diggin the butterfly background. And the photo's of course. You are so gifted. I love the tulip one too. K, so I would love to join you sometime on one of your photo excursions. It would be fun to see you and soak in some of your photography knowledge and perspective. Call me!!