Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fruit & Veggies Basket

I've been wanting to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet for a long time. The problem is that I am very picky about flavor and texture of the fruit. I don't mean to be that picky, but I am. I do not like fruit that is over ripe or too under ripe.....it's hard to get one that's just right. So I'm trying to re-teach myself to like fruit and vegetables by letting my pallet start over as an adult. I wonder if my tastes will change?

This interest began to develop after some tastings I did with my sisters a couple of years ago at their home....and when I watch any show on the Food Network, there's always talk about mixing flavors. Flavors I have convinced myself that I don't like...but what if that was young Tina's pallet? Time to find out.

A few of my coworkers get weekly fruits and vegetables from Bountiful Baskets and I thought I would start there for two reasons: 1. It's affordable. $15 a week and you get a variety of vegetables and fruit. 2. It's fresh produce and I can use it this week in meals or as a healthy snack.

The picture above is the basket I received this morning. The first thing that made me excited was how colorful it looks! My mouth watered. I've allowed myself to get into the brown foods and stay there (breads, meats, cereals, etc).

There were a few items (specifically, figs) that I didn't know what to do with. So I searched out some recipes that will use the spices and proteins I have on hand (which isn't much) and made a menu for the week. The last time I had figs was in Ecuador and it was prepared as a fermented dish....and it was grody! (and I was a hungry missionary who learned to eat everything, but couldn't down that dish.) So it should be interesting.

As it turns out, this is a busy week for us, and a lot of the meals I thought I'd be making for dinner, will end up being our lunch.

Once I have made the recipe, I'll attach a link to the recipe, but here's what I've come up with so far:
1. Harvest Salad, Grilled Steak, and Mushroom Bread

2. Almond-Crusted Halibut, and steamed Broccoli & Cauliflower

3. Baked Chicken w/Gorgonzola & Red Pear Risotto

4. Chicken Walnut wraps, and Figs w/Goat Cheese, Pecans & Bacon

5. Salmon with Pineapple Tomato Salsa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can I come over for dinner this week? It sounds so yummy!