Saturday, September 10, 2011

Biggest Loser

On March 14, I joined several people I didn't know, in a biggest loser competition. I was invited by my friend Jessica (thanks, Jess) and thought that the $50 entry fee was pretty minor.
This wasn't going to be like a Weight Watchers program, where we meet to talk about the progress we're making. We'd be completely accountable to ourselves. We'd weigh in once a month, but that was it.
I was worried because, being self accountable hasn't produced the best results for me in the past, but this time would be different.
The first couple of months were slow as I couldn't decide how dedicated I was really going to be. I evaluated my eating and non existent workout habits. I made the list of why I wanted to lose weight.....but it wasn't enough. It was the same as always....lots of talk, but not enough action.
It's not like I don't know that I'm heavy; I've read and heard all the ways to lose weight permanently: it has to be long term. But who wants that!?
I'm a procrastinator....so time went by with not a lot of action on my part.
And then the moment of change came in a very embarrassing moment: In May Eric and I flew to LA for LA Rising concert and Six-Man. It was a lot of fun and I have wonderful memories.
On the way home, we flew on a smaller airplane. Eric and I didn't have seats by each other. My row had two seats. I always get a window seat because I am fully aware of my size and I am so careful not to spill over into the neighbor's seat.
When I found my seat, there was a lady sitting on the aisle seat. I took my seat and realized my seat belt wasn't big enough to fit around me. I had to ask for an extender and was mortified. While I was collecting and extender, the lady in the aisle seat was looking at the back of the plane making hand actions and mouthing words.
A few minutes later, she went to the back of the plane and an uber thin man came and took her seat. I could tell that he knew that I was fully aware of the reason she had swapped seats and he tried to soften it by telling me that her friend was back there and she'd wanted to sit next to her.
These two moments hit my heart to the deepest place and moved me to action.
In June, Eric and I began getting our fruits and vegetables from Bountiful Baskets (as I've mentioned on this blog before). I have loved trying new recipes, eating more fruits and vegetables, and eating healthier.
Fortunately for me, I have wonderful coworkers who are also taking their own journey to becoming permanently healthier. We have all been very supportive of each other. We walk during our breaks and bring healthy foods to work to share. But there's no pressure. You don't want to participate, all is well.
Our final weigh in for the Biggest Loser among new friends was this morning. I was a bit anxious to make sure that my own scale was accurate...and it was.
My final weight loss was: 19.1 pounds, which is 6.72% - Although I didn't place in the top 3 (which had winnings in the form of money attached) I placed sixth and I am very happy with how much better I feel!!!
Now to continue the journey!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you Tina! I need to get my butt in gear and start eating right. I DO work out regular, but I just eat and eat and eat. Watching weight just gets harder and harder the older I get. :(

Rachelle said...

Great job Tina! 2o lbs is awesome.