Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reflection on 2011

2011 was....an......exciting eventful interesting year. Not too heavy, not especially light on the drama, at least from a personal perspective.

One big joy and accomplishment for me was that I lost 35 pounds. Not the 70 I wanted, but half, so not all bad. I plan on continuing this effort in the coming year; something I'll address in a later post.

I didn't read the 100 books I'd wanted; I read an embarassingly low ten....10% (in fact I haven't finished reading the 10th: Lord of the Rings Fellowship...); when I made that goal I didn't account for the physical time it would take to read 100 books and still lead a very busy and full life.

I documented, through the camera lense, my life and the lives of those around me a little too much and had a hard time keeping up; especially near the end of the year.

I recieved an unexpected upgrade to my camera...one that I absolutely love. It has prompted me to take a new look at my hobby and my future.

My mom retired and we threw her a very successful party. She's a free bird now....it's nice to see her doing what she enjoys on her own terms.

We lost several family members and close family friends. A reminder that life is short, even when you've lived a full life.

I would say the most profound moment for me was the Trax accident on June 14. It has been a very sobering experience each time I think about it too long. I've stopped sharing many of the emotions because that's when things get a bit heavy. I remain grateful for the forces that stepped in and spared us and our families of the pain that could have so easily befallen us that day. I realize that I have more to do in this life. I've been miraculously spared many times and I recognize the hand of God in my life; and not just on those days of potential tragedy.

My feelings toward my past faith have not changed (if anything, they've become stronger and more resolute) but I am more defensive of what I once believed and held so dear. I don't expect that to change in the coming year. I am grateful for the freedom guilt free days that came from leaving it all behind.