Friday, May 23, 2008

How Shall I Spend MY $600?

So it's Friday and what have you done? We are going into the first big summer weekend: Memorial Day. I don't normally do ANYTHING on this weekend outside of cleaning the house and working on the yard. Too many people camping.

This weekend I'm watching for fun sales on various items we've wanted for a while because I have that $600 from the government burning a hole in my savings account. Heaven forbid you just save it, right? Well, I probably will save half of it.

So I'm compiling a list of items I'd like to spend the money on.

A new PC - upgraded, of course.

PROS: play MORE computer games :D More sims, in other words, I guess. And play the games FASTER!
CONS: I already have one that plays pretty well so do I REALLY need to get a new one?


Kitchen Aid Mixer

PROS: I've always wanted one! I mean, mixing with the hand mixer is outrageous when you can use one of these babies. Just throw in your ingredients and watch it go. It's like "set it and forget it."
CONS: Not enough counter or storage space in my little old house. I don't bake very often, even less now that I'm supposed to be eating better. And again: do I really need a mixer?


Exercize Equipment

PROS: makes me feel like I have a gym in my house. Incentive to get off my butt and workout. And there'd be NO excuses not to workout! It's a MUST that I say: "I can workout anytime I want" but the question is:
CON: will I really workout or will it be, yet, another dust gathering peice of equipment until I get tired of looking at it and finally sell if for less than 1/2 what I paid for it?


The Wii

PROS: I want one. Period. I like it and have wanted it since it came out.
CONS: we have a gaming system (PS2) and I don't want to start buying games for another one. (weak, I know)


Upgrading the back yard (adding in the dog run, re-fencing the yard, tearing down some old shed items, etc)

PROS: when it's done, we can have parties and friends over without being all, "pardon the smell of dog poop but would you like to join us in the back yard? watch your step."
Instead we can be: "lets roast marshmallows and look at the stars. Isn't this so relaxing?"
CONS: We have to do it anyway, so can't we just use our measley income to do it so I can spend the money on a "want" and not a "need"?


Like, Oh my gosh, don't forget SHOPPING spree!

PRO: NEW CLOTHES! Look hot! Sizzle with hotness in a NEW WARDROBE!
CONS: gotta lose weight first....boooooo.


What I'm most likely to spend a chunk of the change on:
My trip to California NEXT WEEK!
PRO: time with my sisters, spending our money together on snorkeling and kayaking and whatever comes our way
CON: is there one when I'm spending time with my sisters?

So I know how bad this piddly concern is when there are 400 or so children taken from homes in Texas, thousands suffering in China, and all sorts of sad and discouraging disasters happening in the world - and I'm worried about what I'll spend $600 on. Maybe we all need a bit of perspective, eh? Who cares what $600 goes for - and is it really going to boost the economy - not likely. Will that stop me from spending it. Not a chance. Consider it spent.

1 comment:

Jess said...

My vote is for the Wii. Those things are so cool! Tayler is really wanting a macbook (yes my husband Tayler who didn't know what a computer even was the last time we talked...) but I am trying to lure him to the "save it!" side of the fence. I mean c'mon, I live with my mother-in-law's MOTHER. I reeeeeeally need a house!