Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hello Michelle!!


Last night I watched coverage of the National Democratic Convention. I was watching various channels until I found the one I was satisfied with, which I thought was PBS (KUED) until I realized it was about 30 minutes behind the live schedule (what a disappointment). I ended up watching mostly NBC.

I watched Nancy Pelosi's speech - which was mostly "Democrats rock and Republicans suck" which has never been a compelling argument for me to follow - but necessary (I guess). But I'm sure we'll see some comparison of it in the Republican Convention next week.

I was fairly surprised at how little attention the first two or three speakers received from the audience. Once in a while the cameras would span out to the audience and you'd see people chatting with their backs to the stage....what is that? It seemed really noisy like a school cafeteria at lunch time. It was odd.

Everything changed, however, when Caroline Kennedy made her way to the stage. I have to say that Caroline Kennedy is amazing. She is beautiful, articulate, smart and witty. I loved her introduction to Ted Kennedy, who've I've never been a big fan of. But the more I've learned about his public service the more I appreciate what he's accomplished in his lifetime and I feel more, now, for his personal losses. The tribute that was done for him was fantastic and very nicely put together. AND it brought the convention to real sense of a beginning.

Here's the video tribute to Ted Kennedy.


Michelle Obama was the highlight of the night! I haven't known a lot about her and was interested to see how she held herself....she blew me away. I was so moved by her experiences and connection to everyday Americans. I loved hearing about how she and Barack grew up and their hopes for the future as a family and for the nation.

to read her speech click here

to watch her speech click here
(Youtube has it in three parts and I don't like that each part has a commercial, so I've added the link to the Democratic Convention site to watch the speech)

I am looking forward to see more thoughts and expressions of WHAT plans Obama has for the future. Specifically what does he plan to do with:
1. The economy. What measures will he use or propose (that hasn't already) that will make a difference and boost our economy?
2. Our dependence on foreign oil. What does he have in the works currently and where does he hope to take it?
3. Healthcare reform. I know it's not the big ticket item, but I work in it and it is ALWAYS changing. What will he do to help expand insurance coverage?
4. Emigration laws. I would like to see something change in the visa laws to allow us to bring our family from Argentina and Uruguay for visits to the United States.

As I think about this list, I need to consider, what would I have my government do (and to what extent) to help solve these issues and what can I as a voter CURRENTLY do to help in these issues.
Something to consider and answer as I participate in the election season.

No comments: