Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tedious Debate #2

Last night was the 2nd of 3 debates. I didn't really learn anything new from either candidate and neither seemed to have changed or refocused any energy on the financial crisis that blew up since they last met. It was still the same old stuff and it came across as being a little bit out of touch with what's really going on for Americans like myself.

McCain looked uncomfortable in HIS setting, pacing around and making odd jokes that didn't really connect to me at home - it was like he forgot that he was in a room filled with undecided voters.
McCain was at his best in his final two statements of the debate. When he answered the question regarding what you don't know and how you'll learn it, he was kind of vague but became stronger. His closing was the strongest of all his statements.
Other than that, he was childish and petty in his remarks toward Obama. To me the super negative for McCain was the general disrespect and even disdain for Obama in referring to Obama as "that one" and "him" and he still avoided looking at Obama in the eye. Again, it lead me to wonder what kind of "maverick" doesn't look at his enemy and fight?

Obama started off looking like he was a bit uncomfortable and I was nervous for him because this ISN'T his setting traditionally. I was surprised at how fast he became comfortable and began connecting to people. I think he could have been stronger, but I thought he did very well.
I think he missed the boat with his answer to the question: What don't you know and how will you learn it (I don't have the exact question).
I think he started to allude to the fact you can't really know everything - he should have finished it with something like "you surround yourself with a strong cabinet and Vice President like Joe Biden." Something to bring it around to the fact that it's not JUST him but an entire team and together they have the knowledge.

MSNBC summarized the debate with this video showing a few of the higher moments.


Overall I found the debate less than exciting and kind of boring. I swapped over to the Food Network and enjoyed Ace of Cake a couple of times.

No comments: