Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Looking Good in a Group Picture

I have been asked by a few people if I know of any tips they can use when they are asked to be in a group shot, so that they'll be happy with the outcome.

As a 'bigger girl' I have had to learn how to take the most flattering shots I can get - It's not like I'm going to get a face w/out chubby cheeks or hide the hundred or so pounds I'd like to lose; but I employ a few tricks to fool the camera so that my face and body appear a little more slender. For the most part, these are the tips I offer people when they ask and they are usually pretty happy with their next group shot (work, family, friends, etc.)

In no particular order, here are my tips. Keep in mind that many people have their point and shoot cameras and the settings are preset. When I take pictures, I use manual settings to maximize the lighting and certain surroundings that are out of my control. I also keep these tips in mind and have no problem (time and event permitting) telling people in the group how to stand and where.

If you can control the location of the shot:

1. Avoid taking pictures in harsh light - direct sun light is never good because no matter how hard you try, you will squint. Using florescent lighting is not at all flattering, either, so get out of the office! You will be washed out in the picture in both of these lighting choices. The best lighting is outside in the morning and evening hours. If you are going to be in an outside picture in the middle of day, try and hold off until it is overcast - not darkly overcast, though. The clouds act like a filter and help with the natural soft lighting.

2. Don't take your outdoor group shots under trees or with something that will cast odd shadows across your face. And watch for lighting where your eyes or half your face is covered in shadow...you'll be very zombish. You'll hate the picture and wish you had a better one. It won't be one you print up and frame.

So that is the lighting aspect. What do you do with your body, then? Here is what I have found (and learned) to do with my body to get the best pictures when I am not in control of the group shot - you know the ones where someone says, "get together so I can get a picture of you guys. Lean in." (when they say to just lean in...don't! Physically move to be in the shot in a flattering angle!)

1. Turn your body a little bit so that one shoulder is more forward. Remember the pictures from school? Remember how they moved your body a little bit so that you were turned to the side a bit? That's because it is WAY more flattering to be turned a little bit than having a shot with your shoulders square to the camera (and I don't mean a side shot, either - eek!). Oh, and don't raise the shoulders up when you do this (which makes for a stiff shot)...keep them down and natural.

2. Be a turtle. Sandy taught me this trick. If you are faced toward the camera, (keeping your shoulders relaxed and slightly turned) push your neck forward like a turtle and PUT YOUR CHIN DOWN. I'm not sure why, but our instinct is to put the chin up, which creates the double chin, or at least a broader chin that you'll HATE! You don't want to look up your nose, do you? Being a turtle will help eliminate the extra chin and cheeks that everybody hates when they take pictures. And, although it feels weird, IT WORKS! (I have had many people think I'm kidding when I suggest this to them, and there are some that refuse to do it when I'm taking their picture...they laugh and then do what they want, but I promise you, it works, and you'll be much happier with it.)

I would suggest you try it...try one where you don't do it and then try one when you do. See what you think.

3. Smile a genuine smile. It's not a mug shot! (unless it is and then none of these tips will truly help you) People will spot the fake in a flash! And so will you. Show a little teeth, but not the whole mouth. I usually get one of the two extremes...huge smiles (yikes) or no smile (very serious)...and these people will sigh at me like I've messed up their picture (see! this is why I hate my picture being taken.) Well, you need to smile a genuine, good smile, but don't scare the kids away with the big smile that includes all your teeth and gums. (My, what big teeth you have!)

4. Flirt with the camera a little. Keep eye contact and tilt your head a little bit (keeping your turtle out there, still). Sounds stupid, and maybe a little vain, but practice in the mirror. Practice with your own camera. Find the angle you like the best and use it to your advantage.

5. If at all possible, find a taller person to take the picture. Instinctively we put the camera in front of us at our own eye level. So if a short person is taking the picture, no matter how turtle-ish you become, you're going to get more neck/chin than you want because the camera is aiming UP at you or straight across at you. Someone who is taller has the camera aiming DOWN at you, even if just slightly. This angle will help narrow the face even more.

6. Last, if you are trying to hide the weight in a group shot, don't stand in front taking up the full shot! Let others close ranks in front of you...and lean forward a little bit (a little bit!)...again, people lean back instinctively (my guess is it's part of that personal space we are trying to protect).

Those are my tips for getting the best picture when someone else takes it with their point and shoot (or cell, or any camera) at a work party or family reunion, or whatever the event might be.

These are the tips I give you if you are the one taking the picture of a group, whether or not you know them. Help them set the memory the best way:

1. If you are using a digital camera, use the view finder and hold the camera up at the group so you aren't getting that shot looking up at the group, rather, you're looking down at them a tiny bit. Stand on a curb while they stand on the ground below. Stand on your tippy toes...something to get a few extra inches to help with the angle.

2. Use the Zoom feature!...You don't need to get the picture of the outfits....Nobody wants their bellies, belts, shoes, legs, etc. in the picture (unless it's bridesmaids or something where the outfits are relevant. But even then, consider the group). People want the faces, so keep that in mind and zoom in a little bit to get from the upper torso on up if at all possible, and still get the whole group....have them get closer if that helps. Try to keep it as the upper body - forget the lower body.

3. Focus! Keep them in focus! Many times, this event won't happen where everybody will be together again for a while and isn't it sad when people are out of focus? If you are unfamiliar with the camera, make sure you get this one piece of instruction! Take a few shots so they have more to choose from.

4. Count down out loud..1...2...3....BUT take the picture at 2 or 2 1/2 because this helps with blinking eyes. Strange, but true. I have more blinks at 3 than I do at 2. We Americans are maniquins when it comes to the pose (I visit my family in S. America and I have to constantaly tell them, "smile.") We'll stand forever with that ridiculous smile until the pictures are taken. But we blink. This is another reason to take 2-3 shots.

Those are a few of my tips if you are caught off guard and asked to be in a group shot. I'm a total amateur photographer, but this is what I've learned as I've taken group shots at work, weddings and funerals...and even portraits of coworkers for the web site.

That all said, though, I would say it is important to be comfortable in your own skin.
My best advice is this: Don't be afraid of your own face...it's yours for life. So many people don't even want to look at their picture no matter how good the shot is. I've been there. Those of you who know me, know that I've been doing a self portrait a day for 3 and a half years, now. It was about six months into the first year before I really became comfortable with my own image. I saw so many flaws: my face is crooked! One side of my nose is bigger than the other side...and because of this, my nose leans to one side. My eyes aren't even..one is lower than the other. My smile: totally crooked. AND the one side that tilts upward in a weird way, is the side my nose leans toward, so sometimes, I see this weird criss-cross of lines on my face. And I have a weird scar on my forehead! And even though I'm 37, I still break out!!! (makes me so mad!) All that said, I've learned to be more than okay with my own image! I love those weird flaws!

On top of the weird face, I'm heavy! (doesn't help with the self loving) And even though I'm trying to lose weight, I'm still heavy! And wouldn't it be nice to be a size 6 and not have to consider that as much when taking a group shot?! But, I am very proud of who I am. I am happy in my plump body. I don't think I'll be any happier in a thinner body (healthier? yes; able to run without passing out? yes! Not necessarily happier, though)...I'll still be me in that body and I better love it now or I'll never be happy with it. So accept yourself as you are RIGHT NOW!

And then use some of the tips to love it in pictures!!

Do you have any other tips that you use to get good shots of you in a group setting?

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Thanks for the great tips! I am still trying to figure out my camera.

Jess said...

Great tips! Lots of good things to think about. I am totally trying the turtle. I HATE pix of myself, the reason I always take the pictures, but I am willing to do anything to like just a few of myself!
The best tip came in the last paragraph. The reason so many people love you Tina is your love for yourself!!

Sandy said...

GREAT collection of tips! And they work! I used to NEVER be in photos - instead preferring to standing behind the camera.

KNOW YOUR ANGLES and LOVE yourself is really the best advice for feeling comfortable and looking natural in a photo.

Also, remember what looks fine in person may come across completely differently in a 2D image. (my droopy eye is more noticeable in photos than in person for sure!)

The best part of looking good in a photo is the visual memory you get to take with you, without thinking - I hate that picture cuz I look like crap!